Sunday, 29 January 2012

Planning is everything

The next two months I'll be doing as many experiments as possible. I have no courses until April, so I'm hoping to produce results for my cell cycle studies of A. thaliana. Hopefully I'll finish both the flow cytometry and qPCR analysis before April.

My biggest problem in working with plants is that I have to sow the seeds two weeks before I use them. At this stage, I don't know what treatments I should give the plants two weeks in advance and I don't know how many plants I'll need. Therefore I prepare 300 seeds for each experiment and prepare to have 3 experiments each week. That's only for the flow cytometry. I haven't gotten any results yet, so I don't know how long I should keep this up before I begin preparing plants for the qPCR.

To help me plan all the experiments, sowing, moving of the plants to the growth room, making of plates and stock solutions, I downloaded labguru. It's a tool to help you plan and track your experiments and although I've only been taking a quick look at it, it seems good so far. I hope this can help me plan all the stuff going on so that I can get rid of the feeling that I'm always forgetting something. Unless I'm actually forgetting something... did I move those plants yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment