If you don't consider how rarely I've been blogging lately, it's clear that I love gadgets. I have an android phone, iPhone, Kindle and a Nook that I use more like a tablet. I think Android's way better than Apple (sorry if I offend you) because of the possibility to use widgets, but I also find that Apples solutions often function better.
I sent my iPhone to get its power button repaired and is facing a few days without a phone. No problem. I have my tablet and computer. At all times I can find whatever information I want and I'm still constantly available - I have skype, email, Facebook and Twitter. This need to always be available makes me want to check both emails, Facebook or Twitter all the time. Just in case someone has something important to say. Or in case someone want's to meet for coffee. Or in case... it goes on.
Needless to say, this is a waste of time. Imagine being able to sit down at your desk and NOT feel the urge to respond immediately to every email, but instead fall deeply into whatever article your'e reading (or writing).
Gadgets for work...
In addition to using technology for ..."social purposes", I'm also very interested in using it for more practical work, like planning my studies, keeping track of my experiments and lab work and have easy access to all my protocols -and preferably also results- at all times. In addition, I need to share most of this stuff with my supervisor.
It's not easy to find the right tools for these problems.
I usually use my Google calendar for planning, but I haven't found a very good mobile app for it. The one on iPhone is useless with no easy or functional way of importing several calendars. In the end, a lot of plans are just made i Excel and shared with my supervisor on Dropbox (Dropbox never fails!).
I've looked at a few lab work planning options, but they all require some "getting into it", which there never seems to be time to do. In the moment a piece of paper is just so much quicker.
The one thing that always works is Evernote. I use it for planning my week, because of the easy synchronizing all my plans are everywhere at all times. I also use it for my study notes, results and "to do lists" for the same reason.
...and for all the time spent on the couch
I LIKE my Kindle. I can't imagine anyone that don't like Kindle. I read Game of Thrones (that I LOVE) on my Kindle. I read Superbug, A planet of viruses, Pride and predjudice and so on. And I like it!
What I don't like about my Kindle, is the absolutely, non-functional and stupid pdf-reader. I cannot read my articles on my Kindle. Baaad Kindle!
Then again, this is the non-work section, so never mind. Get back to Game of Thrones. Winter is coming.
No comments:
Post a Comment