A common problem with students, whether they're bachelor, master or phds, is that they think working hard is the same as working a lot - in hours. They spend 10-12 hours at their desk, several days a week, and then continue staring at the computer/article/text book when they finally go home. As I think you know, we drown in a feeling of guilt once we try to not work, even though the "work" ends up being an empty gaze into the air.
I do this a lot myself, although I know that eventually I might as well be working in my sleep - I just go stupid. Luckily I'm also crazily happy when I'm exhausted, which means that I spend a lot of time laughing, to the annoyance of my supervisor (who I unfortunately find extremely funny at times).
The long hours is typical of science and it's been a big issue on twitter and blogs these last months. I've therefore made the very profound, huge, life-changing decision to actually have... a life, in addition to all the science. In order to have a life, I needed something that I could do, something relaxing that wouldn't require too much of my not-so-functioning head in the evenings. The solution?
A good friend of mine decided to teach me knitting. And my Mum agreed to teach me quilting. I've now had one evening of knitting and one with quilting and can definitely recommend a hobby if you're looking for a way to get the elusive besides-the-science-life. Reading a book in the evening doesn't count. You need to do something that don't require too much thinking, no staring at tiny letters and it should be fun and possible to do in company with friends.
Sports, gaming, baking, blogging, sewing, knitting, dancing... there are lots of choices, so just pick one and get started.
....and NO, pipetting is NOT a hobby!
No comments:
Post a Comment